Widening the Circle of Concern
Widening the Circle Educational Fund
Background: In 2021, in commitment to equity, inclusion, diversity, and reparations, following the recommendations of Widening the Circle of Concern (WTCOC), the 2020 report of UUA’s Commission on Institutional Change, the UUCB Board of Trustees established an educational fund dedicated to assisting members of marginalized communities to attend UU-sponsored events.
- Who can apply? UUCB members of marginalized communities, including: Black, Indigenous and people of color (BIPOC); LGBTQIA+ (lesbian, gay, bi, trans, queer, intersex, and asexual); disabled people; those who have financial need; and youth
- What events are covered? UUA national and regional events
- Do members of marginalized communities need to have financial need to receive funds? No
- How much can I expect to receive? up to $500/applicant (possibly more, with board approval. Please be sure indicate additional need, such as for travel costs, in the relevant section of the application.)
- When should I submit my application? Please attempt to submit requests as early as possible to take advantage of early bird registrations. For example, General Assembly requests should be submitted by March 31, 2022
- Where do I submit my application? Please return your application by email at WTCedufund@uucb.org; OR mail or in person to: Widening the Circle Ed Fund, attention UUCB Vice-President of the Board, Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley, 1 Lawson Road, Kensington, CA, 94707. If delivering in person, the vice-president has a box in the lobby.
- Who will review my application and get back to me? Two members of the WTCOC subcommittee
- When will I hear back? Decisions are made on a rolling basis, with the goal of awarding funds 2 weeks after the application is received
- Is the application and award process confidential? Yes
- What if I have more questions? Please contact Judy Sam (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Pier Sun Ho (email@example.com)
- In the spirit of reparations, BIPOC members will have priority in receiving monies from the fund.
- Owing to fund availability, we may only be able to cover part of your expenses. For the UU General Assembly, financial support is available through the registration process.