Larry Nagel, Ira Nelken, Jane Lundin, Dave Roberts, Tom Tripp
On January 28, 2018, the congregation approved a motion to spend up to $758,000 from the accrued interest on Board-designated funds for five renovation projects: the Safir Room, rafter tails, exterior sealing/painting, skylights and RE Building mold investigation. The motion called for the establishment of an Oversight Committee, to which the above five people were appointed. The Committee has met on March 25, May 17 and July 12.
On July 12 we reviewed the status of the design and bid process for two Bid Packages, developed by F. C. Devine Associates, our Architect.
Bid Package 1, Safir Room:
- This Includes new exterior wall, insulation and windows, new interior finishes to ceilings, walls and floors, new lighting, heating and cooling. Cabinetry is preserved.
- It also includes new skylights over the adjacent stairs and some repairs to the clerestory window in the Chrysalis Room (leaks have been a contributory cause to the Safir Room damage).
- This package does not include the balance of the skylights authorized in the resolution.
- The Oversight Committee conducted a detailed review of the scope of the Safir Room design, and has recommended that bids be solicited.
- The plans are completed and bids are due August 8.
Bid Package 2: Exterior Painting, Sealants and Rafter Tail Repairs:
- This package is generally intended to repair and secure the outside of the main building, and includes repairs to rafter tails, sealing wood and concrete and caulking windows.
- Three bids are expected very soon.
Members of the Oversight Committee will be available in the atrium after services on July 29 and August 5 to answer questions about the scope and status of the projects.