News – The Week Ahead
Sunday, March 24, 2019
March theme: Journey
|9:30 am||Personal Theology, Fireside Room – Phil Cousineau is a long-time collaborator with the late Dr. Huston Smith. Phil is a freelance writer, documentary filmmaker, and author of over 35 books, including The Hero’s Journey: The Life and Work of Joseph Campbell. A Seat at the Table: Struggling for American Indian Religious Freedom.|
Worship Service – Don’t Stop Believing!, Rev. Kristin Schmidt. Though our country and economy are broken and divided, we still believe in the power of our shared mission to nurture our spirits and help heal our world. Join us this Sunday to celebrate all of the good this congregation does and make your pledge to sustain our work to grow into a future that needs the transforming love we’ve received as part of this community.
Worship Associate: Melissa Rosales / Slides: David Rosales / Lead Usher: Ray Westergard / Flowers: Jean Hyams / Chaplain: Rev. Sue Magidson
|12:30 pm||Humanist Connections, Safir Room – The Green New Deal – Sandy Nixon|
|12:30 pm||Dialogue on Anti-Semitism, Music Room|
|12:30 pm||WOWS (Whites Opposing White Supremacy), Fireside Room|
Good Neighbor for March (sharing our offerings): YEAH! (Youth Engagement Advocacy Housing) supports young adults (ages 18-24) who are currently homeless. They provide shelter, food, basic necessities, counseling, individual support, and linkages to resources. Your offering today will help YEAH in their work to support youth in gaining housing and opportunities for meaningful community involvement.
Today in Family Ministry
|9:15 am||Childcare available, Childcare Facility, until 1 pm|
|10 am||Youth and Children’s Choir, Meditation Room|
|11 am||Children and youth attend beginning of service, then meet teachers in Atrium|
|12 pm||Community Games, lawn/play yard|
|12:15 pm||Teacher Reflection Circle, Family Ministry Office|
|1 pm||K-1 OWL Class and Parent Group, RE Building|
The Week, March 25–30
|Monday, Mar. 25|
|9 am||Write for Your Life, Safir Room (contact: Kit Hewitt)|
|9:30 am||Women’s Insight Meditation Group, Meditation Room (contact: Lucinda Young)|
|Tuesday, Mar. 26|
|12:15 pm||Applied UU Buddhist Sangha, Safir Room (contact: Lynnette Delgado, 510-799-0747)|
|2:30 pm||Hatha Yoga, Fireside Room (contact: Phyllis Whiteman, 510-647-8537)|
|Wednesday, Mar. 27|
|10 am||Walk & Talk Group (weather permitting, all welcome), meet at church entrance (contact: Ann Harlow)|
|10:30 am||Aging with Grace, Fireside Room|
|7 pm||Board Financial Education Meeting, Safir Room|
|Thursday, Mar. 28|
|6:30 pm||Gamelan Ensemble, Music Room (contact: Daniel Schmidt)|
|7:30 pm||Choir Rehearsal, Sanctuary|
Announcements & Upcoming Events
Saturday, March 23: All ages are invited to help UUCB high schoolers host the quarterly Birthday Party at GRIP Family Shelter. Arrive around 5:00 pm to set up games and decorations. Then during dinner we will play games, talk with the residents, sing happy birthday, and enjoy cake. Afterwards we’ll clean up and leave around 7:30 pm. Contact: Haley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- It’s Celebration Sunday, when people can ceremoniously carry forward their financial pledges for 2019-20 or a note that they have already pledged. If you are unable to attend the service, you may leave your pledge form in the Stewardship basket in the office. With everyone’s shared responsibility and generosity, we can help ensure the future of our congregation as a sustainable, powerful and responsible spiritual force in our lives, the lives of those in our surrounding communities and beyond our congregation.
- Becoming a Member of UUCB, 12:30 pm in the Ministers’ Office. If you are feeling UUCB to be your spiritual home, or you wish for more information about what it means to be a Member of UUCB, this meeting will provide an opportunity for you to share your spiritual journey with others (including our minister and other members). You will learn about the benefits and responsibilities of membership and how UUCB lives out its commitment to your spiritual growth and its commitment to taking care of the community. Please join us. Lunch will be served. More information about Membership is on our website under the ABOUT menu. Email email@example.com if you have any questions.
- At the Social Justice Table, please come and sign a letter of opposition to Senate Bill 429, which expands cooperation between local law enforcement agencies and federal immigration agencies for individuals with driving under the influence convictions.
Sunday, March 31: All-Church Potluck Lunch to bring our community together and welcome new members (following a new member ceremony during the service). Plan ahead to bring food or beverage to share!
Sunday, March 31: The UUCB People of Color Caucus (POCC) Meeting, 12:30-2:30 pm, Fireside Room. The POCC provides a space for racial and ethnic minority members to support each other’s spiritual and personal journeys. We also recently sponsored the UUCB Multicultural Fair: Im/migration. New members are welcome. Email Helen Tinsley-Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Friday, April 5: David Campt book talk, “Anti-Racism Allyship as Part of Your Spiritual Journey,” Sanctuary, 7 pm. Please come and hear this nationally recognized expert in race relations and civic engagement and author of The White Ally Toolkit Workbook. Free.
Saturday, April 6: Bryan Baker and Friends fundraising concert, 7:30 pm, with piano music and songs by Beethoven, Schubert, Fauré, Puccini, Chopin, and Harold Arlen – from the “Pathétique Sonata” to “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.” Tickets $15 at the door; no one turned away for lack of funds.
Saturday, April 13: Work Party to spruce up our buildings and grounds. Sign up in advance if possible and come at 8:30 for breakfast.
Visit the Social Justice table on Sundays, and encourage newcomers to check it out.
To stay even better informed, or if you have questions about UUCB, please explore our website, uucb.org. For events information, select “CALENDAR” at the upper right of any page, then select the event for details. You can also sign up for various email lists:
- To subscribe to the email version of The Week Ahead and/or the monthly Beacon, submit your email address to Alisa, email@example.com.
- UUCB general discussion list: Info at http://groups.google.com/group/uucb_discuss/about; to subscribe, go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uucb_discuss/join
- Email list for families: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Justice email list: Email email@example.com
Submit items for The Week Ahead to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 pm Wednesday. Please try to limit announcements to 75 words.
Submit items for the Beacon to email@example.com by the 15th of each month.