News – The Week Ahead
Sunday, November 17, 2019
November theme: Praise
|9:30 am||Personal Theology – Kiran and Jeanne Rana of the Bay Dervish Sufi center. “I follow the religion of love: whatever way love’s camels take, that is my religion and my faith.” — Ibn ’Arabi|
|12:30 pm||Humanist Connections, Safir Room – Jade and amber in antiquity, Don Anderson (visitors welcome; followed by potluck)|
Good Neighbor for November (sharing our offerings): RYSE Center creates safe spaces grounded in social justice for young people to love, learn, educate, heal, and transform lives and communities. Our offerings each Sunday this month will go to support the RYSE Youth Center, which brings youth together with social workers and other supports and resources.
Today in Family Ministry
|10 am||Childcare available, Childcare Facility, until 1 pm|
|10 am||Parents’ Discussion Group, Downstairs Meeting Room (contact: Alice Lemieux, 510-684-2240)|
|10 am||Youth and Children’s Choir, Meditation Room (contact: Katie Lipka)|
|11 am||Children and youth attend beginning of service, then meet teachers in Atrium|
|1 pm||OWL class, RE Building|
The Week, November 18–23
|Monday, Nov. 18|
|9 am||Write for Your Life, Fireside Room (contact: Kit Hewitt)|
|9:30 am||Women’s Insight Meditation Group, Meditation Room (contact: Lucinda Young)|
|Tuesday, Nov. 19|
|12:15 pm||Applied UU Buddhist Sangha, Safir Room (contact: Lynnette Delgado, 510-799-0747)|
|Wednesday, Nov. 20|
|10 am||Walk & Talk Group (all welcome), meet at Huber Park entrance, 7711 Terrace Dr., El Cerrito (contact: Ann Harlow, 510-559-3616)|
|Thursday, Nov. 21|
|6:30 pm||Gamelan Ensemble, Music Room (contact: Daniel Schmidt)|
|7 pm||I Feel Like Singing Drop-In Choir, Sanctuary|
|8 pm||Luminescence Choir Rehearsal, Sanctuary|
|Saturday, Nov. 23|
|4 pm||Family Spirit Circle, Play Yard and RE Building (contact: Alice Lemieux, 510-684-2240)|
|7:30 pm||Berkeley Broadway Singers Concert, Sanctuary|
The calendar is also available on our website, uucb.org. Just select “CALENDAR” at the upper right of any page. Select the event name for details. (Note that start time may be later than time indicated on calendar page.) “The Week Ahead” and the monthly “Beacon” newsletter can be found on the website under News.
Announcements & Upcoming Events
- Saturday, Nov. 16, 8:30 am–noon: WORK PARTY. Come any time as you are able. Help ready the church for the holiday season. Projects will include cleaning the Christmas Eve candle racks, bringing up Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations, kitchen cleaning and gardening/weeding. All ages are welcome. A hot breakfast will be served. Questions? Call Lynne Cahoon, 510-526-5638.
- Sunday, Nov. 17: FOOD DRIVE. Please bring non-perishable items like canned tuna and chicken, one-pound bags of rice or beans, peanut butter, baby food, cereal, etc. We will also be collecting money donations if that is an easier way for you to help those in need (make checks payable to UUCB, marked “food drive.”) Donations will go to the Richmond Emergency Food Pantry.
- If you have any containers, clean pebbles or glass “gems” you’d like to contribute for our annual forcing of paperwhite narcissus bulbs for the holiday sale, please bring them this weekend and put them on the table outside the kitchen doors.
- Remember to sign up for Thanksgiving dinner and/or the Holiday Fair—see the tables outside the office or contact Ann Harlow.
- The Berkeley Half Marathon is this Sunday, so traffic across Berkeley may be delayed.
Our Personal Theology speaker next Sunday, Nov. 24, will be our own Cordell Sloan on self-reinvention.
Barbara Cullinane invites us to enjoy the Berkeley Broadway Singers concerts at UUCB next weekend, Saturday at 7:30 and Sunday at 4. To encourage a wide and diverse audience, there is no admission fee, though a basket will be passed and donations are greatly appreciated.
Thursday, Nov. 28: THANKSGIVING service (1 pm) and dinner (2 pm). We provide the turkey, Rev. Kristin’s stuffing, and wine; the rest is potluck. Doors open at noon for social time and snacks. Please sign up on the info table outside the office no later than Sunday, Nov. 24. Tess and her family and friends will joim us, and her husband Brian will roast the turkeys! Contact Ann Harlow (510-559-3616) about the dinner or Mary Muehlbach (510-232-1359) about the service.
Friday, Nov. 29, 11 am–3 pm: BUY NOTHING DAY. Potluck lunch (Thanksgiving leftovers welcome!), short worship service, holiday crafts, clothing swap and appreciation to retail workers at El Cerrito Plaza.
How will YOU help make the HOLIDAY FAIR (Dec. 8 and 15) a fundraising success? Let Ann Harlow know if you can volunteer and/or donate recycled gifts, crafts, holiday clothing, or silent auction items (especially parties!) See the green forms outside the office. (We don’t need more holiday decorations donated this year; we are getting a lifetime’s collection from one source.) Jewelry donations are always welcome at the jewelry table, and like-new holiday-related books would be good at the book table.
We hope to have a new furnace for the Sanctuary by Christmas, but in the meantime, please remember to dress warmly to attend services or concerts.
To stay even better informed, or if you have questions about UUCB, please explore our website, uucb.org. For events information, select “CALENDAR” at the upper right of any page, then select the event for details. You can also sign up for various email lists:
- To subscribe to the email version of The Week Ahead and/or the monthly Beacon, submit your email address to Alisa Gould Sugden.
- UUCB general discussion list: Info at http://groups.google.com/group/uucb_discuss/about; to subscribe, go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uucb_discuss/join
- Email list for families: Email email@example.com
- Social Justice email list: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
Submit items for The Week Ahead to email@example.com by 5 pm Wednesday. Please try to limit announcements to 75 words.