Appendix: Mileposts, 1991

Mileposts from the Centennial Calendar, 1991

July 19, 1891                     Rev. Thomas Van Ness gives “right hand of fellowship” to the 32 members

July 26, 1891                     First Board elected and met: 7 men

August 2, 1891                 Music Committee appointed, $2.25 given to them for music

August 9, 1891                 First 30 pledges received (called “subscriptions”)

October 18, 1891              Edward B. Payne called as first minister

February 11, 1892             Womens Auxiliary formed with 24 charter members

February 21, 1892             Oddfellows Hall leased for church @ $25/month

April 11, 1892                   Auxiliary spends $50 for Church School Library books

May 28, 1893                    Board asks Ladies Auxiliary for $125 to clear deficit

December 17, 1893           Church’s incorporation papers approved

1893–1898                        Church services held in Stiles Hall

March 19, 1895                 Congregation votes to buy corner of Dana and Bancroft in Berkeley

October 24, 1897              William B. Geoghegan called as minister

January 30, 1898               Resolution passes to build church on Bancroft Way for $3,500

November 20, 1898          Church at Dana and Bancroft dedicated

May 6, 1900                      Frederick Lucien Hosmer called as minister

March 30, 1902                 Mary Edith McGrew joins the church

March 2, 1904                   Minister given permission to perform weddings and funerals

January 4, 1905                 Board votes to protest paving of Bancroft Way

February 27, 1905             Board votes to get lock for front door

November 3, 1905            Two women elected to the Board

April 4, 1906                     Pulpit Bible received from Hingham, Massachusetts

April 18, 1906                   Church has no major damage from earthquake

January 8, 1909                 Congregation votes to build a parish house

March 1911                       Arthur Maxon Smith called as minister

October 1915                    Harold Speight called as minister

September 1, 1916            25th anniversary celebrated

September 27, 1918          Lieut. Charles Henry Thompson killed in action, only church member lost in World War I

April 12, 1922                   Samuel French Leavens called as minister

September 17, 1923          North Berkeley Fire

September 3, 1924            Average summer church attendance: 337

January 19, 1926               Radio Station KRE broadcasts the church service

July 1, 1926                       Eldred Vanderlaan called as minister

December 12, 1927           Board votes $50 for Transylvanian Relief

May 13, 1929                    Jacob Trapp appointed assistant minister

January 15, 1931               Annual Meeting reports liabilities 0, assets $2.43

October 7, 1934                Horace Westwood called as minister

December 16, 1938           Alliance hears reports from its 15 committees

October 3, 1941                50th Anniversary of church celebrated

December 7, 1941             Pearl Harbor bombed

December 10, 1941           Board decides to provide for blackout of parish house

May 14, 1945                    Membership Committee formed

December 30, 1945           J. Raymond Cope called as minister

May 24, 1948                    Maizie Newman hired as Secretary

October 14, 1952              First Doctor of Durability Service

January 1, 1954                 Plans for a new church building approved

March 8, 1954                   Board votes not to sign Loyalty Oath

April 1954                         Maybeck gives to church option to buy land in Kensington

October 1954                    Board grants permission

February 1955                   Transfer of land to First Unitarian Church of Berkeley in progress

March 1955                       Transfer of land to FUCB complete.

May 15, 1957                    Board agrees to take Loyalty Oath case to Supreme Court

July 3, 1958                       Loyalty Oath declared unconstitutional by Supreme Court

June 12, 1961                    Drama productions approved for new building in Kensington

June 25, 1961                    Last service in old church at Dana and Bancroft

July 9, 1961                       First church service in Kensington building, Rev Cope in pulpit

November 26, 1961          Church on Lawson Road dedicated

October 13, 1963              Plans authorized for church school buildings

March 10, 1969                 Women may now be ushers

May 18, 1969                    Howard Oliver called as minister

April 30, 1972                   Maizie Newman, Executive Secretary retires after 24 years

June 11, 1973                    Grace Ulp hired as Executive Secretary

July 29, 1973                     Richard Boeke called as minister

December 1973                 First Messiah Sing at FUCB

September 24, 1987          “Women’s” dropped from Alliance name; men welcomed

October  17, 1989             Loma Prieta earthquake

May  20, 1990                   Freestone Retreat Dedication

January 13, 1991               Loomer Theologian Sermon

January 11–12, 1991         Loomer theologian Lecture & Workshop

May 17, 1991                    100th Annual Meeting

July 12–13, 1991               100th Birthday Celebration and Picnic

September 29, 1991          Building Rededication Service