News – The Week Ahead
Sunday, August 19, 2018
August theme: Invitation
|9:30 am||Summer Forum, Fireside Room – Meji Singh, Ph.D., “Changing the Course of Destruction: Removing the Barriers that Keep Us from Peace.” Dr. Singh teaches psychology at UC Berkeley, was one of the founders of the Sikh Center (Gurdwara) in El Sobrante, and serves on the board of the Interfaith Center at the San Francisco Presidio.|
|11 am||Worship Service – Mystical Varieties of UU Experience, Jim Gasperini with Lee Maranto, Worship Associate. An unexpected, unearned mystic experience changed my life. It had all the four hallmarks of “mystic experience” identified by William James: ineffability, noetic quality, transiency and passivity. Searching for a place to honor and consider what had happened, I found a UU church. What place does mystic experience have within our faith tradition?
Slides: Jim Gasperini and David Rosales / Lead Usher: Beth Jerde / Chaplain: Stephanie Kroner
|12:30 pm||Humanist Connections, Fireside Room – Feminocracy: What if Women Ruled? Ray Nelson|
|12:30 pm||Social Media Training Workshop, Fireside Room (contact: Paul Hudson)|
Good Neighbor for August (sharing our collection plate): Developing Indigenous Resources works in impoverished communities in India to build knowledge and skills that will help their residents achieve a level of health that empowers them to participate fully in social and economic development. DIR targets its efforts on healthy development of infants and children. This organization was founded by UUCB member Frederick Shaw, and one of our Social Justice groups is Friends of DIR.
Today in Family Ministry
|10:45 am||Childcare available, Nursery, until 12:30 pm|
|11 am||Children and youth attend beginning of service, then (ages 5 to 15) meet to explore Pastoral Care at UUCB|
The Week, August 20–25
|Monday, August 20|
|9 am||Write For Your Life, Fireside Room (contact: Kit Hewitt)|
|9:30 am||Women’s Insight Meditation Group, Meditation Room (contact: Lucinda Young)|
|Tuesday, August 21|
|2:30 pm||Hatha Yoga, Fireside Room (contact: Phyllis Whiteman, 510-647-8537)|
|Wednesday, August 22|
|10 am||Walk & Talk Group (all welcome), meet at SE corner of Sacramento and Rose, Berkeley (contact: Ann Harlow)|
|Thursday, August 23|
|6:30 pm||Gamelan Ensemble, Music Room (contact: Daniel Schmidt)|
The calendar is also available on our website, uucb.org. Just select “CALENDAR” at the upper right of any page. Select the event name for details.
Announcements & Upcoming Events
- Welcome back, Luminescence choir!
- Last day to contribute to African Library Project – Books for grades 2-6 and money for shipping them to Sierra Leone are needed. See https://www.gofundme.com/uucb-african-library-project?member=446128. Please contribute at the Social Justice table or in the Sunday offering plate.
- Social Media training, 12:30-2 pm in the Fireside Room. The Social Media Team will be offering a training session for program representatives to the Social Media Team and all interested congregation members. Come learn how to effectively use Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to spread our message and outreach to potential UUs. (Hint: the easiest and most important thing everyone can do is to follow us on Facebook and Twitter and Like, Share and Re-tweet UUCB’s postings!)
- Items for the September Beacon are due Monday.
SAVE THESE DATES:
- Next Sunday, Aug. 26 – You are invited to bring water from a place that has meaning for you, as well as school backpacks to be blessed. At 12:30, join the WOWS – Whites Opposing White Supremacy – to deepen your understanding of white supremacy culture and how we can counteract it. Or jam with the Folk and Bluegrass group at 1:00.
- Sunday, Sept. 9 – Solano Stroll. We plan to have a big UUCB contingent in the parade, as well as an information booth for the rest of the day. Wear a “Standing on the Side of Love” or “Side with Love” t-shirt if you have one, and be friendly! The parade assembles at 9:30.
- Saturday, Sept. 15 – Annual Freestone Barbecue Picnic. Have a lovely day in Sonoma County and see for yourself what the congregation will be voting about on October 21. Stop by the Freestone table on Sundays to sign up, request a ride, or learn more about the Freestone Retreat property and the picnic.
Consider joining one of our Family Ministry teaching teams! No prior teaching experience is needed, it’s just a twice a month commitment, and current and past RE (religious education) teachers will tell you just how wonderful an experience it is. Please contact Merrin Clough or Zackrie Vinczen in the Family Ministry office with questions or to sign up.
Orientations for all volunteers in the Read Aloud Volunteer Program this upcoming school year will be held soon at UUCB. Please plan to attend on Thursday, Sept. 6, 2:30–4:30 pm, or Tuesday, Sept. 25, 10:30 am–12:30 pm. RSVP: (510) 237-0725 or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’re unable to attend either orientation, there will be monthly make-up orientations at the Read-Aloud office.
Visit the Social Justice table on Sundays to learn about voter registration, immigrant sanctuary, and other ways in which you can make a difference.
Sunday hospitality – THANK YOU to the volunteers who have signed up so far or helped spontaneously, and to those who have brought food. If you can help with coffee service and/or snacks, once a month or even less often, please contact Lisa Maynard. Note: If you plan to donate food, please inform Lisa in advance. If you leave food in the kitchen, always label what it’s for and the date. (There are donation slips on the kitchen bulletin board.) No nuts, please! Reimbursement funds are available for Sunday snacks.
To stay even better informed, or if you have questions about UUCB, please explore our website, uucb.org. You can also sign up for various email lists:
- To subscribe to the email version of The Week Ahead and/or the monthly Beacon, submit your email address to Alisa, email@example.com.
- UUCB general discussion list: Info at http://groups.google.com/group/uucb_discuss/about; to subscribe, go to https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/uucb_discuss/join
- Email list for families: Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Social Justice email list: Email email@example.com