Revived in 2015, the Program Council’s charge, in part, is to enhance collaboration between committees and task forces, set the church calendar, and grow lay leadership. The Council is a formal part of the UUCB organizational structure with authority and responsibilities, providing input to the CT on major operational issues, administrative policy revisions, and priority setting. It is facilitated by a Convener, who also serves on the Coordinating Team.
Read news about the doings of the Program Council in Program Council Updates. Meetings are on the third Wednesday of the month, 7:15 to 9 pm, and observers are welcome. To schedule a presentation to the Program Council, please contact the Convener.
The mission of Adult Education at UUCB is to provide a “pathway” to spiritual, moral and intellectual development. Through a variety of educational presentations, inquiry and discussion groups, classes, and workshops, participants can gain better insight into their own and others’ spiritual beliefs and practices. This can lead to more compassion for differences and also to an understanding of what we all have in common.
Bringing these learning groups together under the Adult Education Program encourages communication and coordination among the various programs. Acting together the groups can strengthen and energize each other and heighten awareness and appreciation of the programs both at UUCB and in the community.
- Adult Workshops & Classes
- Humanist Connections
- Personal Theology
- Write for Your Life
Buildings and Grounds
The mission of the Buildings and Grounds program area is to assist the Board, Staff and Coordinating Team in assuring that the church buildings and grounds, including the Freestone Retreat, support the Mission and Ends of the church as safe, welcoming, functional, and aesthetically pleasing spaces.
- Aesthetics Committee
- Audio/Visual Systems Task Force
- Buildings and Grounds Committee
- Freestone Retreat Committee
- Kitchen Team
- Landscape Committee
The mission of the UUCB Communications Team is to
- Foster community building and encourage participation in church life by informing members of programs, events of interest, and significant events in members’ lives
- Attract new members by raising the public’s awareness of UUCB’s activities and mission
- Collaborate with key stakeholders to develop church communications so as to maximize their impact
The team provides strategic direction and oversight for church communications, design and maintenance of its website and production of its publications.
- Publications Team
- Website Team
- Social Media Team
- Audio and Video Teams
The Family Ministry group is the support program for the Director of Family Ministry, the religious education program for children and youth, and our community of families. In collaboration with the Director, the group helps to develop plans and policies to foster a rich and growing program that will prepare young Unitarian Universalists for a lifetime of spiritual and ethical exploration and growth. The group also works to build community among families and with the wider church by supporting our Director in connecting and meaningfully engaging people in the program. The group is invested in cultivating a sense of shared ministry within the program and with the wider church that fosters a multi-generational community of faith at the Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley.
- Faith Formation Task Force (Religious Education, Our Whole Lives, Coming of Age)
- Faith in Action Task Force (Celebrations, Service & Justice work)
- Youth Adult Team (Projects, Retreats)
- Connect & Engage Task Force (Welcome & Engage Families, Communications & Marketing)
The mission of Finance at UUCB is to build, support and insure a strong financial foundation for the proper and appropriate operation of the organization in accordance with its Unitarian-Universalist principles and its goals which are defined by its membership and the principles of Unitarian Universalism.
A strong financial foundation includes obtaining and maintaining sufficient funding for present and foreseeable future needs and operation in order that the church and its committee structure can fully function and provide support and assistance to its members, the community as a whole and the world in which we live in accordance with the church’s mission and its membership’s desires.
- Stewardship Team
- Book Table
- Fundraising Events Task Forces
- Jewelry Table
The Membership Ministry group works to make the Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley a welcoming and inclusive spiritual community. We reach beyond our church walls to strengthen UUCB’s visible presence m the wider community. We reach within this church community to guide newcomers along the path of membership, and nurture newcomers and members alike towards greater involvement and leadership in the congregation.
Inreach: Helps newcomers and existing members deepen their connection to the people and programs of UUCB and to The Beloved Community
Outreach: Identifies promising target groups and develops outreach strategies and initiatives that will effectively reach and draw newcomers to UUCB.
- Gen UU
- Membership Ministry Committee
- Wheel of Life
- Young Adult Network
Music and Arts
The mission of the Music and Arts Program at UUCB is to enhance worship, support programs and build community through the creation and sharing of music and art that touches people emotionally, intellectually and spiritually.
- Music Program (Overseen by Bryan Baker and the Music Committee, includes adult choir and youth choir)
- Gamelan Ensemble
Our mission statement is based on the first Unitarian Universalist (UU) principle: to affirm the inherent worth and dignity of every person. Our mission is to provide a ministry of hope and caring so that no member of our congregation need be alone.
The mission of the voluntary chaplains of UUCB is to provide a ministerial “listening presence,” immediately after Sunday worship. Specifically to provide a compassionate listening presence to those in need.
- Appreciation Circle
- Caring Circle
- Chalice Circles
- Men’s Groups
- Pastoral Associates
The mission of the Social Justice Council of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Berkeley is to support and oversee the Social Justice program at UUCB in order to:
- carry our faith-based vision of love, justice and peace beyond our own walls
- create opportunities to put our UU values into action to create a more just, sustainable, and inclusive world
- engage the full, multi-generational congregation and
- inspire and transform our community, world, and ourselves.
- Climate Core: A Community of Concern for Climate Change (6C Group)
- Contra Costa Interfaith Supporting Community Organization (CCISCO)
- Friends of Developing Indigenous Resources (DIR)
- Good Neighbor
- Greater Richmond Interfaith Program (GRIP)
- Green Sanctuary
- Immigration Justice
- Literature, Film & Drama Contingent (LFDC) of the Confronting Racism Project
- Partner Church Committee
- Read Aloud Volunteer Program
- Summer Forum
- World Peace Committee
Statement of Charge: The Worship Associates Team is composed of 9-12 people who, together, present a diverse array of theological, philosophical and social perspectives, personal experiences, narrative styles and skills with creative and collaborative process. The Team assists the minister in conceiving, preparing and presenting Sunday worship. The Team addresses the logistical and creative tasks to ensure that worship is engaging, relevant, universal, diverse and transformational.
- Altar Flowers Team
- Mist Tree Moon Circle
- Presentation Associates
- Worship Associates